The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, as well as state and local government, offers a number of educational assistance programs for veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces and their dependents. Based on the time and length of service, as well as current status, veterans can be eligible for one or more of these programs.

PLEASE NOTE: All students, regardless of what benefits they believe they may be eligible for, should complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year.

How to Receive Benefits at University of Bridgeport as a New Student

Apply for your benefits with the VA. If you have used your VA educational benefits elsewhere prior to University of Bridgeport, please also complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, VA Form 22-1995. This form is available through the same online application, VONAPP, where you apply for your benefits.

For Ch. 33 only: Provide your VA certificate of eligibility for benefits to University of Bridgeport’s VA Certifying Official and to your school’s financial aid office. (See contact information below.)

Complete a Veterans Request for Certification form to receive benefits at University of Bridgeport. There are two Veterans Request forms:

Yellow Ribbon Certification Request form for Yellow Ribbon Students only and the general Veterans Affairs Certification Request for all other VA applicants.

If you are receiving benefits under Ch. 33 (the Post-9/11 GI Bill), you do not need to take any additional action to be certified. Tuition and fees payments will be sent directly to University of Bridgeport on your behalf; all other stipends and payments (e.g. housing, books stipend) will be sent to you.

If you are receiving benefits under Ch.30 or Ch.1606, you must verify your enrollment each month with the VA via the Web Automated Veteran’s Enrollment (WAVE) system. Benefits will be sent directly to you (whether via paper check or direct deposit), and you are responsible for transferring any of these payments to University of Bridgeport.

How to Receive Benefits as a Continuing Student

Each term, in which you would like to receive VA benefits at University of Bridgeport, you must submit a Veterans Request for Certification form. You can submit this form via email directly to the contact information below or hand it in to the University of Bridgeport financial aid office.


The following websites are excellent resources for Veteran’s to review some of their benefits:

Contact Information

You may mail, hand deliver, fax, or email your certificate of eligibility and your veterans request for certification to University of Bridgeport’s VA Certifying Official:

Chris Mihalopoulos
Whalstrom Library, G-Level
126 Park Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06604

Phone: 203.576.4692
Fax: 203.576.4570

Attn: VA Certifying Official
Email: or


Like UB on Facebook @ubridgeport Watch UB on Youtube Follow UB on Twitter @ubridgeport Follow UB on Instagram @ubridgeport


This is a development environment, not the actual UB website!